Signing out of account, Standby...
- 2023 Franchise 500 Rank
#3 Ranked #4 last year
- Initial investment
$194K - $955K
- Units as of 2023
2,402 37.9% over 3 years
About Jersey Mike's Subs
More from Jersey Mike's Subs
Jersey Mike’s Subs, a fast-casual sub sandwich franchise with more than 2,300 locations nationwide, believes that making a sub sandwich and making a difference can be one and the same. Jersey Mike’s offers a Sub Above, serving authentic fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs on freshly baked bread – the same recipe it started with in 1956. The model seems to be working. Here are a few highlights:
- Named fastest-growing fast-food chain in America by QSR magazine (2022).
- Named fastest growing sandwich chain and one of the nation’s biggest restaurants (#35) in the 2022 Nation’s Restaurant News Top 500. In addition, Jersey Mike’s opened 246 locations in 2021, up 13.3 percent over the previous year.
- #4 on Entrepreneur’s 2022 Franchise 500, Jersey Mike’s fourth year on the Franchise 500 top 10 list.
- Named one of QSR’s Best Restaurant Franchise Deals in 2021.
- #14 on the Franchise Times Fast & Serious List (2022) for “Smartest-Growing Brands.”
- Ranked in: Fast Casual’s 2022 Top 100 Movers & Shakers (#23), QSR magazine’s 2022 The QSR 50 (#28), 2022 Restaurant Business/Technomic Top 500 (#39), and Franchise Times 2022 Top 500 (#61).
- #38 on the Forbes 2022 Halo 100 List, highlighting customer experience excellence.
- Jersey Mike's Grilled Portabella Mushroom and Swiss Sub was named Best Healthy Fast-food Sandwich in the 2022 Eat This, Not That! Food Awards.
- Recipient of 2021 Industry Hero Award from Hospitality Technology, 2015 CIO 100 Award by CIO magazine and two Hospitality Technology Restaurant Breakthrough Awards, in 2014 and 2012, for the company’s single proprietary, fully integrated technology platform.
The Secret of Our Success
Our subs are authentic and fresh, served up with a helping of neighborly banter from our dedicated and high-energy team. Now that’s a combo that’s hard to resist!
- Jersey Mike’s offers authentic fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs served Mike’s Way? with the freshest vegetables – onions, lettuce, tomatoes – and there’s The Juice – an exquisite zing of red wine vinegar and olive oil blended to perfection.
- We use only premium meats and cheeses sliced on the spot and piled high on delectable bread that’s baked fresh in the restaurants throughout the day. (Udi’s gluten free bread is now available too!)
- Everything is quickly made to order for each customer, just the way the first subs were made at the original Jersey Mike’s more than 65 years ago.
- Mike’s Subs opened as a storefront location in the seaside town of Point Pleasant, N.J. in 1956. It offered unparalleled service and exceptional quality submarine sandwiches, which were a new concept at the time.
- Because of its location on the Jersey Shore, it grew quickly in popularity among the thousands of surf and sun seekers from New York to Philadelphia to Washington, D.C.
- By the early 1970s Mike’s Subs was a thriving landmark famous for its lively and friendly service and its fresh, quality submarine sandwiches.
- In 1975, Peter Cancro, a 17-year-old high school senior who had worked for Mike’s Subs since he was 14 and loved the business, bought the operation with the help of his football coach. At the time, Peter wasn’t even old enough to legally slice a sub.
- Over the next decade, Peter opened two other local Mike’s Subs stores and built on the cult-like following that Mike’s Subs already enjoyed.
- In 1987, Peter began franchising the Mike’s concept, changing the name to Jersey Mike’s Subs to capture the authenticity of the original store. Today, Peter is CEO of Jersey Mike’s Franchise Systems, Inc., headquartered in Manasquan, NJ.
- Peter made the Nation’s Restaurant News Power List in both 2021 and 2017. He was named #1 Most Admired Fast-casual Leader in QSR’s 2019 Reader’s Choice Awards as well as the International Franchise Association’s “Entrepreneur of the Year” and a Golden Chain Award Winner by Nation’s Restaurant News in 2013.
“Giving…making a difference in someone’s life” has always been a guiding principle at Jersey Mike’s. It’s a philosophy that Jersey Mike’s Founder and CEO Peter Cancro has emphasized to each and every Jersey Mike’s store owner: support the community that supports you. In the last decade alone, locations throughout the country have raised nearly $90 million for local charities. Here are some examples:
- Each March, Jersey Mike’s celebrates its annual “Month of Giving.” The national fundraiser culminates on “Day of Giving,” the last Wednesday of March, when Jersey Mike’s franchise owners donate 100 percent of the day’s sales — not just profit — to local charities across the country. Since 2011, Jersey Mike’s and our generous customers have raised more than $67 million.
- In the past two years, Jersey Mike’s has donated more than $11 million to Feeding America, providing over 110 million meals through the organization’s nationwide network of 200 local member food banks.
- In 2021, Jersey Mike's raised more than $800,000 for local community partners including schools, hospitals and other worthy organizations as part of fundraisers to celebrate the openings of 252 new locations across the country.
Training & Support
Jersey Mike’s training and support is second to none. In 2022 alone, the franchise hosted 63 regional manager level training sessions, 5 regional multi-unit workshops for franchisees looking to grow, 30 “Leadership Experience” week long cultural & management training sessions, and several Town Hall meetings around the country.
The Jersey Mike’s IT team supports an array of proprietary systems including the POS, online ordering platform, and award-winning mobile app. The team also includes an in-house Help Desk supporting Franchisees and their crews over 15 hours a day, 7 days a week. Recently, the team’s efforts have been recognized with the following awards:
- 2021 Hospitality Technology Industry Hero
- 2021 Hospitality Technology Top Women in Technology
- 2022 ICX Associatoin Elevate Award – Best Mobile ICX
- 2022 Technomic Consumers’ Choice Award for Highest-Rated Online Ordering Experience
For more information, please visit www.jerseymikes.com. Come see us soon!
- Franchising Since
- 1987 (36 years)
- # of employees at HQ
- Where seeking
This company is offering new franchisees throughout the US.
This company is offering new franchisees worldwide.
- # of Units
- 2,402 (as of 2023)
Information for Franchisees
Here’s what you need to know if you’re interested in opening a Jersey Mike's Subs franchise.
Financial Requirements & Ongoing Fees
Here’s what you can expect to spend to start the business and what ongoing fees the franchisor charges throughout the life of the business.
- Initial Franchise Fee
Definition: The initial fee paid to a franchisor to join their system
What you need to know: Found in Item 5 of the FDD, this may be a flat fee, or may vary based on territory size, experience, or other factors.The franchise fee is an up-front (one-time) cost that a new franchisee pays to the franchisor. This fee is usually due at the signing of the franchise agreement and covers the right to use the franchisor's trademarks, name, and related business systems.
- Initial Investment
- $194,035 - $954,611
Definition: The total amount necessary to begin operation of the franchise
What you need to know: The initial investment includes the franchise fee, along with other startup expenses such as real estate, equipment, supplies, business licenses, and working capital. This is outlined in a chart in Item 7 of the FDD, showing a range of possible costs from low to high.
- Net Worth Requirement
Definition: The minimum net worth you must have in order to qualify to become a franchisee of this company
What you need to know: Net worth is the value of a person's assets minus liabilities. Assets include cash, stocks, retirement accounts, and real estate. Liabilities include items like mortgages, car payments, and credit card debt.
- Cash Requirement
Definition: The minimum liquid capital you must have available in order to qualify to become a franchisee of this company.
- Royalty Fee
Definition: A ongoing fee paid to the franchisor on a regular basis.
What you need to know: Most franchisors require franchisees to pay an ongoing royalty fee, which is detailed in Item 6 of the FDD. This fee is typically a percentage of weekly or monthly gross sales, but may also be a flat weekly, monthly, or annual fee.
- Ad Royalty Fee
Definition: An going fee paid to the franchisor on a regular basis to support advertising or marketing efforts.
What you need to know: This may also be called advertising fee, marketing fee, brand fund fee, and more, but the basic purpose is the same-- to support promotion of the brand systemwide. As with the royalty fee, it is detailed in Item 6 of the FDD, and can be a percentage of weekly or monthly gross sales or a weekly, monthly, or annual fee.
- Term of Agreement
- 10 years
Definition: The length of time your franchise agreement will last.
What you need to know: Franchise terms are typically anywhere from 5 to 20 years in length, but are sometimes instead dependent on factors such as the term of your lease. Once your term is up, you may have the option to renew your agreement, typically for a smaller fee than the original franchise fee.
- Is franchise term renewable?
- Third Party Financing
- Jersey Mike's Subs has relationships with third-party sources which offer financing to cover the following: franchise fee, startup costs, equipment, inventory, accounts receivable, payroll
Training & Support Offered
Franchisors offer initial training programs and a variety of ongoing support options to help franchisees run their businesses.
- On-The-Job Training
- 500 hours
- Classroom Training
- 40 hours
- Ongoing Support
NewsletterMeetings & ConventionsToll-Free LineGrand OpeningSecurity & Safety ProceduresLease NegotiationField OperationsSite SelectionProprietary SoftwareFranchisee Intranet Platform
- Marketing Support
Co-op AdvertisingAd TemplatesNational MediaRegional AdvertisingSocial MediaSEOWebsite DevelopmentEmail MarketingLoyalty Program/App
Additional details about running this franchise.
- Is absentee ownership allowed?
Definition: Absentee ownership means that the franchisee does not actively work in the franchise business or manage day-to-day operations.
- Can this franchise be run from home/mobile unit?
Definition: The business can be run from your home and/or a vehicle, and it is not necessary to have a retail facility, office space, or warehouse.
- Can this franchise be run part time?
Definition: This business can be run by the owner on a part-time basis (less than 40 hours per week) and/or as a side business; it is not necessary for the business to be open/run full-time.
- # of employees required to run
- Are exclusive territories available?
Definition: An exclusive territory is a fixed area in which you are given the right to operate and in which no other units of the same franchise may be opened.
What you need to know: Territory size may be based on factors such as radius, population size, zip codes, and more. Details can be found in Item 12 of the FDD.
Franchise 500 Ranking History
Compare where Jersey Mike's Subs landed on this year’s Franchise 500 Ranking versus previous years.
Curious to know where Jersey Mike's Subs ranked on other franchise lists? Find out below.
Ranked #3 in 2023
Franchise 500 Ranking
Ranked #12 in 2022
Ranked #6 in 2022
Fastest-Growing Franchises (U.S. & Canada)
Ranked #1 in Submarine Sandwiches in 2021
Best of the Best
Ranked #1 in Submarine Sandwiches in 2022
Top Food Franchises
Ranked #1 in 2023
#1 in Sandwiches: Submarine Category
Related Franchise Content
Catch up on the latest franchise news, trends, and more.
The spot is located in Downey, California.
How One Woman Turned Pandemic-Induced Boredom and a Makeshift Garage Art Studio Into a Thriving Franchise
Maya Ratcliff was searching for a hobby when she stumbled upon an art form that would ultimately change her life forever.
The customer went viral for what he did next.
For budding entrepreneurs looking to franchise without leaving the house, these concepts offer flexibility.
Steal this tactic from one of the world's strongest brands.